• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

Varsity Football’s Final Games Before Playoffs

This past Friday was the last home game of the regular season for the varsity football team ,and they ended the night with a victory over Albemarle. Many factors went into contributing to the win.

“Definitely the practice. Sophomore and team manager Kaycee Morgan said. “It’s Monday, practice film , and then the rest of that is practice. Also the walk in before when they’re just getting in their minds, they’re not worried about anything.”

As well as preparing both physically and mentally before the game, the team also prepared through strategy during the game ,thinking through how to play based off the other team in order to end up on top.

“I believe the reason we won Friday was because we’re in better shape and we were more of a hard-nosed football team. Senior football player Adam Mills said. “I knew it was going to be a physical game because we had everything to prove. We were also fighting for playoff standings and district standing, we played a decent game and can get better than what we were. We have to beat Goochland this week to win the district and then playoffs start.”

A lot of pressure comes to the football team this week, with the Friday game being the last of the regular season, and next week with starting playoffs. 

“The future holds a great amount for this team because we’re all so well-connected, and right now our main focus is on Goochland,” Mills said. “But starting next week ,we start playoffs and we all want to prove a statement because everyone has been doubting us.”

The team has many different things to think about with playoffs taking place next week. 

“I think for right now, we kind of take it one game at a time,” Morgan said. “Everybody’s always saying, ‘Well, are we gonna beat this team?’ ‘Do you think we’re gonna beat this team?’ And our mind at that time, we’re not worried about anything but the team we’re playing .It’s that team and whatever happens, we’ll move up and work with it.” Morgan said.

Using this strategy and many others, the team as well as managers have high hopes for the upcoming playoff games.

“I’m hoping that we will end the playoffs with a state championship ring on our finger,” Mills said. “Also, we want to win the Jefferson District. I’m looking forward to making a statement in our district, in the playoffs, and I’m just happy to lead a great team to success.”