• April 15JV baseball plays Powhatan tonight at 5:30.
  • April 15Boys and Girls soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • April 15Scottie Scheffler wins Masters a second time.
  • April 12LCHS Prom will be held tomorrow at 7-10 pm.
  • April 12JV baseball plays Courtland tonight at home.
  • April 11US strengthens ties with Japan after state visit.
  • April 11Postal service 1st class stamp prices increase again.
  • April 11The Masters will begin today, first tee time scheduled at 10:30am.
  • April 10High pollen levels present today.
  • April 10Renowned physicist,Peter Higgs, passes away at age of 94.

Football goes further than the field

Liza Middlesworth
A group of sophomores is depicted sporting their green and gold at the first varsity home game of the season.

Football season is here, which means the movement of pride throughout the community is nearing its peak. With the first game of the season having been nearly two weeks ago, community support is important in the game of football.

During the game, many students were seen sporting their school colors. Some people bought snacks and talk to their friends, while others opted to watch the game from the bleachers or student section. Sophomore Cailyn Worrell prefers the former.

“It’s fun!” Worrell said. “Everyone has a good time, we cheer on our team, and I get to see my friends.” 

Senior Isaiah Haywood high fives the student section after exiting the tunnel. (Liza Middlesworth)

Senior Linebacker Lawton Rowan says that his absolute favorite in-game moment is running through the tunnel. He goes on to say the atmosphere of the community at Friday games is unparalleled and the comradery it brings is unreal.

“You don’t find it in many other sports,” Rowan said. “[When] I do something good, I expect [the crowd] to yell and cheer. I want a crowd that’s super supportive and I believe our community does a good job of that… we play football. Just whistle to whistle.”

Having been a football coach for sixteen years, Will Patrick says that the experience never gets dull.

Patrick believes that players are a representation of the community and that the loyalty of said community is important. He comments that he’s looking forward to seeing “boys turn into men ” in reference to his players. He lists several core values that he believes the sport teaches, including putting in work, having a good attitude, and working hard for what you desire.

“I look forward to every Friday night. [Louisa is] the premiere football culture in the state of Virginia. Three thousand screaming fans… old, young. All Rooting for Louisa County kids.”

The community youth gather around to cheer on the varsity football team. (Liza Middlesworth)