• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

The History of the Super Bowl

This article is about the history of the Super Bowl.
Courtesy of the Philadelphia Eagles on Youtube

As Super Bowl LVIII finished up, we reflected on some of the most famous plays that have gone down in the NFL’s Super Bowl history.

In 2016, with 4:16 left in the 4th quarter of Super Bowl 50, Cam Newton snapped the ball at the 25 yard line. When he dropped back, Newton got the ball stripped from his hands and fumbled the ball on the ground, losing the game for the Carolina Panthers.

“It was heartbreaking to watch because usually the Panthers lose the majority of the time,” sophomore Camden Marshall said. “Especially because they made it all the way to that final game.”

Sophomore Camden Marshall poses for a picture.

A year later, the New England Patriots completed the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history, according to ESPN. The Falcons were leading the game 28-3 in the second half of the game. Then, Tom Brady took the Patriots to victory after a rushing touchdown by James White in overtime.

Senior Cameron Quarles acts as if he is throwing a football like Patrick Mahomes.

“Tom Brady had one of the best performances in Super Bowl history,” senior Cameron Quarles said. 

In 2018, the Philadelphia Eagles completed one of the most famous plays of all time in the Super Bowl. The play was called the “Philly Special” where quarterback Nick Foles walked towards the right side of the line when the ball was snapped to Corey Clement, the running back, and then he tossed the ball to tight end Dallas Goedert , who threw it back to Foles for a touchdown.

“It was a cool play that I have never seen before,” junior Ian Taylor said. “It was crazy.”

Junior Ian Taylor stands tall for picture.

In this year’s Super Bowl, 49ers rookie kicker Jake Moody had set the record for the longest field goal in Super Bowl history, which was from 55 yards. 

“I wouldn’t say it is much of a surprise just because he’s an NFL kicker,” Lions kicker, junior, George Albertson said. “He’s been struggling through the season, so to see him come back and execute like that in the Super Bowl shows how he’s put in the work and come a long way throughout the season.”

Later in the game, Chiefs veteran kicker, Harrison Butker set a new record, where he made a 57 yard field goal.

“Butker is already one of the more well known respected kickers in the league,” Albertson said. “So it was expected.”