• April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.
  • April 26The opening night of Chicago is tonight.
  • April 26The Envirothon teams placed third and first at regionals.
  • April 25JV boys and girls and Varsity girls soccer play Western Albemarle tonight.
  • April 25Outdoor track has a meet at Monticello.
  • April 25The 2024 NFL Draft starts today.
  • April 24CTE signing day is today.
  • April 24Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Goochland tonight.
  • April 24Avian flu has been detected in pasteurized milk.
  • April 24Dominion begins offshore wind turbine project.

Louisa Turns 150 Years Old

Natalie Spencer
Junior Emma Alexander is happy to talk about Louisa as she is involved with a lot in the community.

Established in 1873, Louisa County became a home for many. 150 years later, Louisa has become a place of comfort for people who weren’t born here. 

“I traveled from California all the way out here for 30 days, ended up meeting my wife and I haven’t left since,” Sheriff Donnie Lowe said.

Sheriff Donnie Lowe smiles for the picture after speaking about how much he loves Louisa and how it has impacted his life.
(Natalie Spencer)

Our county’s superintendent, Doug Straley, has heavily influenced our community, especially the school system during his twenty-eight years in LCPS. 

“I constantly tell him, boy, I wish my high school was like that, you know, I would have been there more often,” Lowe said “They were just amazing to see the way the school system is and I contributed a whole lot to Doug and his team.” 

“ I think he does a lot of involvement especially through like sports and events [in Louisa].” English teacher Kelly King said. 

Louisa’s community gathers together to cheer on our Louisa sports teams. This includes Friday night football games which joins most of the community together.

“Coach Patrick is always involved in the community,” junior Emma Alexander said.

Junior Emma Alexander is happy to talk about Louisa as she is involved with a lot in the community. (Natalie Spencer)

Louisa has developed so much not only as a community, but as a whole. 

“I remember when I first joined, there was no stoplights in the county and the only paved roads were kind of like the main roads.” Lowe Said “everything else was probably gravel.”

In the time that people have lived here, Louisa has heavily impacted many people.

“It’s given me a sense of community with how close everybody is,” King said. 

Fairs with games, food and sometimes even animals is something that Louisa does frequently.. They also host parades with fun floats, bands, dancers and candy being thrown out of cars for kids to run for.

“Well I’ll tell you what, it’s the closest community I’ve ever seen, we just have a lot of great people in the community,  ” Lowe said.

Come back next week for continuing coverage on this event.