• May 13Varsity baseball plays John Randolph Tucker High School tonight at 6.
  • May 13Speech and debate state champions,Reese Merritt and Hannah Hearn, qualify for national competitions.
  • May 13Famous producer,Roger Corman, passes away at the age of 98.
  • May 10Senior scholarships and awards will be announced tonight.
  • May 10The Mental Health Awareness Walk has been postponed until May 20th.
  • May 10Girls varsity soccer plays Monticello tonight at 6:30.
  • May 9Baseball and softball play Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 9Vermont now requires fossil fuel companies to pay reparations for climate change.
  • May 9Severe weather claims multiple lives in southern states.
  • May 8Track will host meet today starting at 2.

Artist of the Month: Adriana Coleman

Adriana Coleman
Art project by Senior Adriana Coleman displayed a realistic breakfast meal(Credit to Adriana Coleman)

Senior Adrianna Coleman has been making art for almost 17 years. Not only has Coleman taken both ceramics classes, but she has also taken part in the Advanced Arts classes.

For some people, art is a way they can show who they are and how they’re feeling. It’s a way for them to take the things they’re thinking about and turn them into real things for someone else to look at. Art is not just made for elementary schoolers, it is used all around as a hobby.

Senior Adriana Coleman posing in the hall for a picture after her interview.
(Kara Kotowski)

“[Through art] we try to reveal people’s creativity, and it helps because a lot of times we have trouble expressing ourselves and our emotions,” Coleman said. “Art is so much more than just scribbles. I get to take pencils, paper, markers, watercolor, and acrylic paints and mash everything together to make something that is meaningful.”

It’s important to have someone to look up to because it pushes one to continue doing something they love. Motivation is a key to have in order to continue progressing.

“My mother inspires me because she also loves art, and she’s always saying ‘Let us let people be creative’ and ‘Let us express ourselves’,” Coleman said.

Senior Josh Hix is a classmate of Coleman and was influenced by her to get more involved with the group around him.

Senior Josh Hix standing on the first floor and smiling after talking about his friend.

“When I joined the National Art Honor Society, I was pretty nervous at first, but she was very welcoming and helped me with the things that I was struggling with,” Hix said.

Hix has watched Coleman grow in the classroom, making an impact on him.

“Adriana has become more social over the years and has definitely matured with the manner in how she completes her art,” Hix said.

Art teacher Alexandra LaBarr has taught Coleman for two years specifically educating her on the principles and basics of Ceramics 1 and 2 and Advanced Art 1 and 2.

“Adriana has gone from creating guided projects to creating projects based solely on her own kind of ideas/imagination and applying what she wants to do with that with her work,” LaBarr said.

Coleman shows dedication for what she does through her work and in the classroom.

“She’s almost always so cheerful and willing to help,” LaBarr said, “This is how she approaches her classwork as well, always willing to go the extra mile to get it done.”

It’s important to present oneself in a positive manner, especially at Coleman’s age because of the younger students who look to her for guidance.

“Adriana is great in class, she’s very positive overall and approaches things with a ‘can do’ attitude, always willing to give good feedback or share ideas with her classmates,” LaBarr said. “Not only is her bubbly personality contagious which makes her an excellent leader for NAHS, she is also great at motivating others and keeping our group on track to complete things.”