Scholastic Bowl trains the mind

Emma+Alpern+pictured+on+the+left+and+Faith+Zimmerman+on+the+right.+

Emma Alpern pictured on the left and Faith Zimmerman on the right.

Michelle Ford, Reporter/ Photographer

Freshmen and sophomores from different schools come together to compete in the Scholastic Bowl.

This trivia game, similar to Jeopardy, is played on teams and was started 20 years ago by Dr. Larry Kavanagh. Multiple categories are chosen from and points vary based on whether the teams get the questions right or wrong. Practice is essential to prepare for the big competition. Practice is held on Mondays and Tuesdays. On Wednesdays, the students travel to other schools to compete. According to The Virginia High School League (VHSL) Website, the Scholastic Bowl is played on three levels. 

“The first level of competition is the REGIONAL level, which is all-in… The second level of competition is the SUPER REGIONAL level… The final level of competition is the STATE level,” (VHSL). The sport has appeared on television and a teacher, Thomas Jordan, is now the coach of the team. 

“The Scholastic Bowl gives us the opportunity to show off our academic skills to other schools,” Jordan said.

The Scholastic Bowl is an activity students can do after school with their friends.

“The Scholastic Bowl means experiences with my friends and a fun place I can go to after school… There’s like 6 of us and we are all friends,” Freshman Emma Alpern said.

The Scholastic Bowl gives students an opportunity to learn more. Many of the questions are school subject related, but there are also many questions about literature, art, and entertainment. Freshman Faith Zimmerman felt that she learned more playing on the team than she did in class. 

“It [helps] further [my] education and [prepare me] for college,” said Zimmerman.

Alpern and Zimmerman play on the same team and both agree they enjoy spending time with their friends and being able to “learn many things.”  

“It helps me form relationships with people, get experiences, and interact with people,” Alpern said.