• May 1Joe Vogel,age 27, earns the title of youngest state delegate in Maryland history.
  • May 1Girls JV and Varsity soccer plays Fluvanna tonight.
  • May 1Rare pigmentation causes golden retriever puppy to be born with green fur.
  • April 30Track will host meet tonight at 5 pm.
  • April 30Georgia power plant, Vogtle, brings new nuclear reactor online.
  • April 30Four Zebras spotted in North Bend Washington after escaping from captivity.
  • April 29The Rolling Stones begin North American tour.
  • April 29Candace Parker retires from WNBA.
  • April 29Country singer,Zach Byran, gives aid to community after natural disaster.
  • April 26Grizzly bears will be reintroduced to the northwest region of the U.S.

A Game turned to Movie

Elliott Moreno
Canva image made to feel and look similar to the Five Nights at Freddy’s neon sign.

The video game franchise, “Five Nights at Freddy’s” was released as a horror movie on Friday October 27th. The movie is part of the 10+ game franchise which contains a more detailed story and complex lore. The term “lore” is used amongst the gaming community to say the backstory of a universe or in this case the backstory of the Five Nights at Freddy’s universe. 

The player starts in the game as a night guard for “Freddy Fazbear’s Pizza”, a family diner known for its pizza and animatronics. As the night guard, the player must survive free-roaming animatronics, animal-like robots, trying to stop the player from leaving and completing the shift. The shift lasts from 12 am to 6 am for five different nights. The game is a big puzzle with games and pieces put together to create the Five Nights at Freddy’s lore. 

Benjamin Stallard posing and smiling for the Five Nights at Freddy’s article. (Elliott Moreno)

Sophomore Ben Stallard has played the games and is interested in seeing the movie with his friends. Stallard has seen the horror movies “Candy Man”, “The Ritual”, and played the games “Visage”, “The Last of Us”, and “Resident Evil,” all of which have complicated backstories.

“They are not so much as scary as they are eerie, but they are still very fun,” Stallard said. “It has a lot of details and no one really knows the whole story.”

The trailer shows that many of the game’s aspects appear in the movie such as the night guard job, animatronics, and the original family diner. The movie contains most of the story to keep it relatable to the game but adds different components to make it a better movie and more understandable to others who have not played the game.

“Hopefully there is a lot of jump scares, some backstory on the creator of the diner, and just fun details in the movie from the game,” Stallard said. 

Rocco Hall smiling for the photo after an interview about the Five Nights at Freddy’s game. (Elliott Moreno)

Sophomore Rocco Hall is also planning to watch the movie. He has played the games and watched many horror movies himself.

“I think that the game is good,” Hall said. “Everyone loves it. Seeing the night worker being in his office while the animatronics close in on him would be cool.”

Jump scares and plot twists are common in “Five Nights at Freddy’s.” Scares and famous lines are some of the big and unexpected moments that some players want to see in the movie. It gives people who played the game a chance to get excited to see it on a big screen.

“I would also love to see the movie really give the feeling of watching old YouTube videos about the game when you were little,” said Hall.

“Five Nights at Freddy’s” is out in theaters and on the streaming platform Peacock. The games are available on Steam and other gaming platforms.